Tuesday, October 13, 2009

BYU Marching Band Invitational

Ordinarily on a second Tuesday I would encourage you to attend the evening's City Council meeting. But tonight I'd like to see American Fork drop everything and go support our marching band at the BYU Marching Band Invitational.

Yes, I said OUR marching band. It may be the high school's program, but the marching band is at least half of who we are as a community. We have supported its fundraisers, marveled at its breathtaking performances, and felt ourselves inspired and ennobled by the band's constant striving for excellence.

Tonight will be the band's first performance since Saturday's tragic accident, and our turnout will help us support the band, honor a fallen hero, and salve the pain we are all carrying inside.

Performances run at LaVell Edwards Stadium from 3:55 p.m. through about 10 p.m., with American Fork scheduled to compete at 9:25. Tickets are $5 per person and are available at the door.

I salute the fighting spirit that empowered the band's decision to go through with tonight's competition. Let's rally the troops and show our support.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharla said...

I agree, I'm not a band mom, nor even an AFHS alum, but they are my band too. I consider myself part of the extended band family.

My heart goes out to all affected by the bus accident.

I'm proud to be a citizen of American Fork this week & always.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home