Friday, June 01, 2007

Honoring Our Firefighters

Memorial Day, last Monday, was a day for honoring American Fork's firefighters.

After serving up 1100 breakfasts at the fire station, the entire volunteer fire department turned out in full dress uniform at the cemetery to be honored in the annual Memorial Day program.

And rightly so. When I think of the certifications these brave men and women are required to have, the incredible technologies they are able to employ, and the ever-present risk they run to life and limb, I marvel that they serve as volunteers.

Here's perspective: After American Fork's 2007-08 budget is approved, a volunteer fire-fighter in American Fork will receive $8.50 per call, up from $7.50 last year. That's $8.50 for putting his or her life on the line, quite possibly to save one of my own children.

Whereas, if my child sneezes, I rush him to the doctor and the doctor receives $89.

There are not words sufficient to honor such selfless public servants, many of whom are not content to confine their service to home.

A case in point is Reed Thompson. A fourth-generation firefighter with the AF fire department, he was unable to resist the call to service in the aftermath of September 11, 2001. In the speech Reed delivered at the cemetery Monday morning, he told the story of raising airfare to fly to Ground Zero, and described the uphill battle all firefighters fought just trying to contain the devastation.

I was so impressed with the speech that I asked, and obtained, his permission to reprint it here. As you read it, I hope you'll come to feel the same reverence Reed feels for all who come forward in so great a cause.

We are truly fortunate to be the beneficiaries of such great heroism.

WE'LL NEVER FORGET
by Reed Thompson

I would like to thank the cemetery committee for extending the invitation to speak here at the Memorial Day Service. There are many, many wonderful individuals who have been laid to rest on the grounds of this beautiful cemetery. Not far from this spot my grandfather, Reed S. Thompson, is buried. He was a very powerful influence for good as one who was known to many as their bus driver. He was also instrumental in starting the water system in Highland, and in addition, and probably one of the reasons in which I am here speaking today is because of the heritage in which he left as a 45 year veteran of the American Fork Fire Department. As was previously mentioned I am a 4th generation firefighter for the American Fork Fire Department, and along with that heritage has come an added respect for the value of human life, and the protection of property for those in this great city and those who travel through it.

I was asked to share a few thoughts regarding the experience which I had back in September 2001. Shortly after the attack on our country on September 11th, I had the unique opportunity to go back to New York and aid in a small part with the clean up and recovery efforts at Ground Zero. From the day this tragedy occurred I had an overwhelming desire and feeling that I should go back to help. Through some very generous arrangements of friends and family members I was able to secure air fair back to New York. Unclear somewhat of what exactly lied ahead I traveled back to an area where I had never been before.

Upon my arrival I started to make my way to downtown Manhattan. I was approached by an NYPD officer who made arrangements for me to travel by bus to lower Manhattan. I was treated very well in every step of my travels. I was dropped off about 10 blocks from the Jacob Javitts Center where I proceeded on foot. About 8 blocks from the bus station I passed a fire house -- home of Engine 34 and Ladder 21, more commonly known as Hell’s Kitchen Fire Station. I was beckoned to come over to the station by one of the firefighters who immediately indicated that I could stay with them. Still amazed at the awe of it all I cannot express my feelings of gratitude for the way I was treated. I quickly got settled in and was fortunate enough to be put right to work. The firehouse had just gotten Ladder 21 back from Ground Zero and they needed to get it cleaned up, equipped, and put back in service. We spent several hours cleaning equipment and getting items ready for them to utilize. I noticed that Engine 34 had a poster over the top of some other lettering and this was when I was told that this Engine was a replacement from the Fire Training Academy and that their engine had been completely destroyed during the collapse of the towers. I then was told that 5 of the 6 firefighters on Ladder 21 had been killed or were still missing and that all 6 firefighters from Engine 34 were lost that day. They also had another Engine Co., Engine 26, stay-ing with them while their station was being renovated, and that they had lost one man as well. So out of the 18 men who responded from that firehouse that day only 6 returned. At this point the reality of this event really set in. These men who survived were still on shift taking care of the needs of others, and responding to other calls. It truly was a remarkable experience to be a part of.

The following morning Engine 26 was dispatched to the east end of the Ground Zero area. Myself and one other firefighter from Canada were given a pass to enter the “hot zone” and assist their engine crew manning hose lines, and putting out hots spots on the pile. I cannot begin to describe the magnitude of this incident, nor can words de-scribe the reverence I felt for the civilians, rescue workers, and other volunteers which were participating. There were many other experiences which I had in those few days that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Now almost six years later I ask myself what I have learned from those experiences. First, I had an added desire to become as well trained in as many disciplines of the fire service that time will allow. Many others both locally and throughout the nation have also made efforts in this area, to do the best job possible in the safest manner possible. Secondly, remembering those who lost their lives in efforts to try and save others. This great service is what makes our country and those who serve different from anywhere else. And lastly, to make a diligent effort to truly provide quality service to those who need, expect, and depend on us.

While this was an incredible experience and one that will remain with me for the rest of my life, it was only a small measure in comparison to the countless hours pro-vided by the great members of my department. Many have given much when it comes to serving the community day in and day out. I would personally like to express my thanks to the men and women who serve with me today and to those men who for 100 years have brought joy to many and comfort to many more in the fire service in American Fork.

I would also like to express my gratitude to those of the Armed Forces. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for insuring that our homeland is safe and protected and that freedom and peace may blossom throughout the world.

Lastly I would like to express my thanks to all those who do give and have given of their time, talents, and resources. Many of you do it without the need for recognition. Thank you.

May we continue to serve, help, and give so that the heritage of this great city, state, and nation may continue to enjoy rich blessings is my prayer. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home